I've updated the "Blog Archive" and "Labels" gadgets on this site - as visible in the right-hand margin of this page. Please leave a comment with any issues or suggestions.
- A view that is collapsed by default, saving screen space for other features unless the Labels are clicked and expanded for use.
- A complete and compact list of tagged posts under each label, without having to request a new label search page - while still providing these links.
Also now just completed, I've also replaced Blogger's default Blog Archive gadget with another YUI TreeView, providing:
- A consistent look-and-feel between the Blog Archive and Labels features.
- A more compact display, while maintaining readability.
- Post titles were previously truncated after 50 characters. Complete post titles are now displayed, along with the specific date posted.
- As the same data retrieved to populate the Labels is re-used, the page loading performance should actually be improved as the HTML is now dynamically generated client-side - instead of downloading what was essentially duplicate information as additional HTML from the server.
As with the Labels, the archive will also automatically expand to show the related posts for the time period being viewed - similar to the default functionality, but again determined by the current URL.
Also just added are "loading bar" graphics for the short period of time between the initial page load and the population of the trees.
A few other quick things to note:
*.jsfile - but can't currently find a usable solution that matches the reliability and pricing (free) of the rest of Blogger. I attempted using versions stored on Google Code and Google Sites, but each had various issues - including being able to properly make updates, as well as having download landing pages interfere - partially complicated by not being hosted on the
blogspot.comdomain. Amazon's S3 storage service looks like a promising option that I may still consider. However, while it would likely only cost pennies / month to use for this, it's another bill to take care of.
As visible in the source code, I also needed to implement a custom "
clickEvent" handler for YUI's TreeView - otherwise the HTML links contained within the tree nodes were not clickable, as any clicks would instead expand/collapse the node instead of activating the link.
A few ideas for future enhancements:
- Options to alternatively sort the labels, including by post count.
- Having the displayed labels under each post interact with the Labels tree.